Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Writing Process

In various writers' circles, the question of the writing process inevitably comes up and it is always fascinatingly individual. Some outline, some live or die by a set schedule of words per day, others wing it, and others consult a magic eight ball.

For a new writer looking for advice on how to approach the "process" I would suggest trying several different approaches and then going with the one that really hums. You'll know it when you find it--you'll sit down, start writing by your chosen method, and all of a sudden you have ten pages of a "did I write that?" story in front of you and you're amazed at how much time has actually passed. When you find something that works, stick with it, no matter what someone else tells you--it doesn't hurt to entertain new ideas, sure, but if you know you stagnate when going by an outline, don't ever be persuaded to use one because it works for someone else. You be you. You write the way you write. If you stop trying to be the next so-and-so, who knows? You might write something that gets them trying to be the next you.

My writing process?
(shakes the shiny black ball--waits...)

Ask again tomorrow. Hmm, that's funny, the last time it said maybe. I took it to mean maybe I have a writing process and maybe I don't. What a puzzler.

2 comments:

rosemerry said...

I used to wing but I have since learned that doesn't work to well for me. So while I'm not doing a formal outline I am planning way more than usual. I hope to have all the planning done by November for NaNoWriMo.

Anonymous said...

Excellent advice about finding your own process. And what did the shiny black ball say?