Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm such a bad blogger...


I don't post every day. I don't post wildly entertaining personal bits about what my dear husband said in bed the other day (he'd strangle me) , or what my kids are up to (they're two and four, wildly imaginative, and very energetic...I don't have time to blog about everything they do), and I believe my personal philosophy is best shared with people who know and understand me--I get fewer odd looks that way.


So why am I doing this?


I confessed at the beginning that I have the not-so-ulterior motive of using the blog when, or if, the writing gig takes off. Beyond that, I have enjoyed this little venture, looking for bits here and there to put up, finding little ways to express who I am at a level that I'm comfortable sharing. Oddly enough, I am a fairly private person. This feels daring to me, sharing thoughts with people I don't know and who don't know me (yeah, I know--woo freaking hoo, you wild thing you).


I've peeked at a variety of blogs lately and I'll admit, some of them scared me, more than any Stephen King I've ever picked up, with their level of personal information. Of course, these were just random blogs I found by hitting the "next blog" button, so they're not necessarily professionals looking for publishing fame, but yikes, man. Other blogs, some posted here and others posted on those blogs (I'm too lazy to throw up a link to every single blog I like, so I only put up the ones I actually read regularly) are professional, funny, and entertaining, but of course most of them are by or for writers. There is most definitely no shortage of blogs at present--but there are some very good ones out there if you're willing to wade through and find them.


I hope, at some point in the future, this one will be at least one of the entertaining ones, and not the 'yikes man' ones--if I could just manage to find a little more time in my day.

4 comments:

Polenth said...

I post about two times a week and it isn't highly personal. People still visit. It doesn't make you a bad blogger.

And I like the little spotty monster!

DJ said...

Thanks, Polenth! (I found the spotty little monster via a Google search of "writer images") I had to adopt him...named him Twain.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't make you a bad blogger. While folks like Darren Rowse will suggest blogging a minimum of 3x/week, that's for the serious blogger and prob one who is a professional blogger or using it for serious platform. Write when you're compelled to, and don't feel guilty about not writing about everything your family does...I agree, some blogs are over the top with TMI and most are not very well written. Even a blogger must think before hitting "send"/"publish" or why there's a "draft" mode. LOL.

Tina said...

This is a fabulous post and I tell you why, there are no correct ways to blog. I fully believe that one should blog as they see fit, if they are forced or feel forced to do it on a timeframe the posts reflect that.
your blog is great, its entertaining, and it works. Leave it be;)

Tina
http://chronicpain.today.com