Thursday, June 12, 2008

Just for fun...a writing exercise

I recently purchased a copy of Bonnie Neubauer's workbook of writing exercises (The Write Brain Workbook--366 exercises to liberate your writing) to aid in limbering up my occasionally cobwebby mind. I had a lot of fun with this one and I thought I would share.

"Animal Tendencies"

(I called it "A Sea Otter to be Reckoned With" my answers will appear in parentheses...you fill in your own)

The animal inside me wears _____________ (hip waders for afternoon tea.)

She lives in ________ (the ocean.)

And plays with _______________ ( a soccer ball she found floating one day.)

The animal inside me sings ____________ (off-color opera and old sailing dirges.)

She has a collection of ____________ (pearls, seashells, and flat beach balls.)

And revels in ___________ (the play of sunlight on water.)

The animal inside me loves _____________ (to feel like she is flying under water.)

She is waiting for _________ (nothing--she takes life as it comes.)

And wishes that _____________ (the world knew more about playing.)

And sometimes when no one is looking, the animal inside me _________ (puts on Groucho glasses and reads Shakespeare on the beach.)

I would love to hear some other answers to this one--don't be shy! Silly can be good for you, take it from the mother of two extremely silly, wonderful kids who remind me when I'm about to tear my hair out about something ridiculously "adult" that sometimes a little silly goes a long way.

2 comments:

Kelly Curtis said...

How fun!!! The animal inside me wears gel-padded bike shorts.

Great exercise.

Sarah Heacox said...

"Animal Tendencies"
The animal inside me wears a wooly hat with a bobble on top. She lives in the High Sierras. And plays with the winter snow bunnies. The animal inside me sings eighties pop music. She has a collection of interesting bits of cloth and pieces of twine. And revels in the laughter of the children around her. The animal inside me loves nutella sandwiches. She is waiting for her real life to begin. And wishes that her sunrises never would end. And sometimes when no one is looking, the animal inside me dances under the moon.