Sunday, August 3, 2008

Treasures


On a recent trip to visit family, my sister-in-law, mother-in-law, daughter, and I went shopping. And how. We have a tradition when we get together of visiting certain antique shops in a town near Mom's house and we never fail to have a ball when we get together. And the treasures we find! Sis and I both are a little crazy about 40's and 50's vintage clothes--she has a glove fetish and I will get in serious trouble over pretty hats. And no, I am not the proud owner of the flamingo glasses in the picture--but aren't they spiffy? My new sunglasses have much more understated pink rhinestone flamingos on the corners...yay!


As I was browsing online and looking at some more wonderful vintage clothes (it's perhaps an addiction) I found myself feeling briefly and for the millionth time that I was born in the wrong era. Then I found some beautiful aprons, almost bought a couple, and realized they were A) too pretty for me to actually wear while cooking and B) not going to get worn otherwise and that I have nowhere to display them. I then realized that I was actually born in exactly the right era. Here I sat, looking at my leisure on my computer through tons of old things that I can truly appreciate, in my less than spotless house. I was recovering from a nifty migraine the day before and I have no-housework days the day after to get the wind back in my sails. Fortunately for me, I don't live in the 40's or 50's when it would have been unacceptable for my husband to come home to a cluttered house and takeout for dinner. I also doubt my tendency to speak my mind (sometimes much less than sweetly) would have been as lovingly tolerated then as now.


Don't get me wrong--I think there is a whole lot about the past that is now bygone that I think is a damn shame to have lost. But I also think that there has been progress in important areas and that through personal choice we can honor and uphold certain ideals that may not necessarily be fashionable any longer while still enjoying more modern freedoms and luxuries as well.

No comments: